Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Firefighter Academy--Day 10

Saturday was a full day. It was a testing day where we were to go over most aspects of the training we've experienced over the last few weeks.

In the morning, we rotated through hydrant set-up testing and through ladder set-up. There is more to setting up a 24-foot extension ladder than meets the eye. Especially, if you want to do it safely and quickly. 

In the afternoon,  we went to Station 4 for firebox training. Three teams of four with a couple extra were rotated very quickly through the firebox exercise. Teaming up, exiting the vehicle, pulling pre-connected hose, and entering a live fire building to do a rescue search and attack the fire was the routine.

No matter that I had been through a couple evolutions of training on pulling preconnected hose during the summer months, it was clear to me that I still wasn't getting it.  The hose would get caught up on the air tank each time, which I chalked up to my being left-handed in a right-hand world. The point, though, is that I wasn't getting it. The hose didn't care that I was left-handed, yet I couldn't figure out how to turn in a way that would prevent it from happening.

It seemed that I wasn't the only one having difficulty, as it was the main issue brought up during the review of the day. Tomorrow, it would be the focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment