Saturday, October 13, 2018

The Firefighter Academy--Day 1

Last night, the academy began in earnest with a version of the "scared straight" process that those in prison give to young people who think it wouldn't be so bad to go into prison. Our version, though, was to make us acutely aware that seeing the kinds of stuff that you are most probably going to see has the probability of taking a toll on your mind, body and soul. This toll can easily spill over onto your family and friends. And, that you need to be aware of this possibility and guard against it with disciplined daily actions, vigilant awareness, and consistent post-event evaluation. Then, when that isn't enough, there are several layers of peer support and professional counseling. Are you still sure you want to do this, Jay?

It was sobering to listen to the statistics that more in the fire services commit suicide than are taken in the line of duty. Those numbers are consistent across all first responder roles. The numbers for alcohol and drug abuse and abusive actions towards family and friends follows in the same vein. It's something to think about. I have endured more stress throughout my life than I cared to for sure. Not always adjusted for it in the best ways either. What makes me think I can do better here?

Yet like the moth to the flame (maybe not such a good metaphor), I seem to be drawn to help where I can while I can. I may only have a few years of this type of activity left in me until my body no longer cooperates, so why not give it my best shot. I know that I'll increase my physical toughness from soft to stale marshmallow hard at the very least. I'm hoping that I'll learn some new skills to build my mental toughness from "fragile flower" to a level where I don't cause any pain and suffering to those I love.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you are ambitious! Prayers and good vibes for your safety in all areas, and for the safety of the other first responders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we’ll have to have a tougher Academy, as you still have enough energy left to write some really good and LONG blogs? I read through the Day 7. Yup, maybe a 2-mile run in full turnouts, while breathing air! Now we’re on to something. Good job Jay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Boa. :-D We already pack so much into our sessions that I can hardly remember the details. Maybe I should wait until after graduation to continue any publishing.

      Delete